Standard Assessment Procedures, (SAP calculations), are required under
building regulations to produce a predicted Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)
- a legal requirement before commencing any new build.
• If a building does not fulfil building regulation requirements concerning power and fuel conservation, remedial action has to be undertaken.
• The higher the SAP score, the lower the energy running costs.
• EPC’s can also produce long term cost savings on existing buildings, dependent on a variety of interconnecting construction factors of glazing, heating systems, doors, wall types etc.
• If a contractor is to carry out these energy calculations they must have a complete set of house drawings that include floor plans, elevations and other details.
• The entire energy calculation is essentially a desktop calculation rather than a full site survey. Specialist contractors will have software available to produce scale drawings and perform the EPC.